A new report recently released by the Global Web Index cuts through the hype and the headlines churned out about social media trends. The full report is worth a read but here are the key takeaways:
- Facebook is still the largest network in terms of numbers by a high margin. 4 in 5 internet users have a Facebook account and 50% of those log-in to Facebook daily. Of those that log-in daily, 1/2 log-in multiple times each day. But it faces major challenges. People are growing bored with it and using it more passively. Sharing of photos and videos has actually dropped in the last year. Facebook also has the oldest user base. 25% of it’s active users are over the age of 45.
- Tumblr and Instagram have the youngest audiences. 70% of their users are between the ages of 16-34.
- Pinterest is one of the fastest growing social networks with a user base that has grown by 111% in the past year.
- Snapchat is the fastest growing mobile app and it over-indexes strongly with teens.
- YouTube has the highest visitor rate. An estimated 85% of online adults visit each month.
- Finally, multi-networking is the norm. Users maintain profiles across a plethora of social networks. Any new network will most likely join the pantheon rather than replace an existing network.
Read the whole report below: